What is Abound?
Abound® is a light, refreshing, therapeutic nutrition drink that is
clinically shown to help support wound healing. Abound contains
a patented blend of three key ingredients — HMB, arginine and
glutamine. You can find these three natural components in a
- HMB (β-hydroxy-β-methylbutyrate) helps protein synthesis
and also protects proteins against degradation;1-3 these
actions are important both to healing wounds and to lowering
the toll that a hard-to-heal wound takes on the rest of the body.
- Arginine is an amino acid needed for synthesis of proteins
and other important molecules, thus supporting growth and
function of cells in healing wounds.4 Arginine stimulates
synthesis of collagen,5,6 the protein that provides strength and
integrity to skin. Arginine also enhances immune function.7
- Glutamine is another amino acid that helps support wound
healing by stimulating synthesis of collagen and other molecules
in the cell;8-11 glutamine also supports the activity of immune cells.12
By working together, these three ingredients help heal wounds and enhance immune function.
1. Alon T et al. Res Commun Mol Pathol Pharmacol. 2002;111:139-151.
2. Gallagher P et al. Med Sci Sport Exerc. 2000;32:2109-2115.
3. Nissen S et al. J Appl Physiol. 1996;81:2095-2104.
4. Stechmiller J et al. Nutr Clin Pract. 2005;20:52-61.
5. Barbul A et al. Surgery. 1990;108:331-336; discussion 336-337.
6. Curran JN et al. Wound Repair Regen. 2006;14:376-386.
7. Kirk SJ et al. Surgery. 1993;114:155-159.
8. Campos A et al. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2008;11:281-288.
9. Karna E et al. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2001;130:23-32.
10. Peng X et al. Burns. 2005;31:342-346.
11. Williams JZ et al. Ann Surg. 2002;236:369-374; discussion 374-365.
12. Wilmore DW. J Nutr. 2001;131:2543S-2549S; discussion 2550S-2541S.